[lit-ideas] Re: This is your brain on Google - Jul. 21, 2006

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 05:28:44 -0700

Like the man said, this is just the beginning. Literally. This technology has
been in the works for the past decade. It's hideously expensive, and funding is
about to be cut off. That's why you're seeing these press releases qua
features.

It bothers me when an aspect of science is hyped way out of proportion. Yes,
they need funding, and they're more likely to get the bucks if the public is
behind their objective. On the other hand, this type of story is misleading and
perhaps even cruel to the population that's hoping to gain a sense of freedom
from the technology.

It may happen someday, but probably not someday soon, not for the average
hopeful quad, and not without much greater understanding of neurobiology than
science currently possesses.

My advice: Keep your hands and feet, if possible. R&D aren't there yet.

Carol