[lit-ideas] : The nothing noths or not

  • From: Adriano Palma <Palma@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 07:25:23 +0000

Within English (usage) there is no strict guideline, for those who believe that
grammars are normative objects, mostly invented by decrepit idiots in the media
and selling books on punctuation and ‘eats shoot leaves’ as recent bestseller
zeroed on in  the point.
In many languages you can use a determiner with functional equivalents of
nothing.
It is utterly imbecilic to hang fine points of speculative metaphysics on
dubious etymology, since

a.     The points do not generalize (Kusturica is correct, the dem particles
sounds ok in many cases as in “the unicorn” as in “the Marx Badiou likes is a
non existent character in a lacanian soap opera”, “the santa claus of
supermarkets is an employee dressed in red” and “the santa claus children
worship does not exist”, some even go to the length of “the jesus of the gospel
never existed”, but equally for a fictionalist in mathematics “numbers do not
exist, therefore the number three does not exist either”) It remains, to my ear
an open question whether the expression the nothing would pass muster by this
queer discussions engendered by the nazi buffoons and his friend buttman

b.     Even if it were established by empirical methods that a particular
phrase that usage license it, in Greek say, the discovery that what is atomic
is such that it is indivisible, nothing stops and stopped in the past to split
atoms, hence, I surmise sentences such as Fermi at Batavia split atoms, as
predicted by the prior theory-  are just fine. The complaint that ‘atom’ is the
“unsplit(table)” can be made only by idiots
Before one worries about the adject “speculative” in the prior sentence,
Heideggerian metaphysics is speculative for the simple reason that there is no
argument for it (what determines that a hammer is not hammer if not at hand?
Which argument was given to claim that “people” are afraid of dying?

Bestest