[lit-ideas] The immoderate Anjem Choudary

  • From: "Lawrence Helm"<lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas" <Lit-Ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 18:56:16 +0000

 "Anjem Choudary, a thirty-nine-year-old British Muslim leader, hailed
September 11 as 'magnificent' and its perpetrators 'heroes''; he mocked the
victims of the London Tube bombings, calls on Muslims to refuse to cooperate
with the British police, and advocates sharia for the United Kingdom.  He and
his wife are welfare recipients, but nevertheless he's able to rack up
impressive frequent-flyer mileage jetting off to laise with like-minded Muslims
in other countries.  On the BBC, he was asked why he didn't simply move to a
state that already has sharia.  'Who says you own britain, anyway?' he replied.
 'Britain belongs to Allah.  The whole world belongs to Allah.'  Warming to his
theme, he added, 'If I go to the jungle, I'm not going to live like the
animals, I'm going to propagate a superior way of life.  Islam is a superior
way of life." [America Alone, p 90]

Lawrence