[lit-ideas] The Water Board Conversations

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 13:29:05 EDT

In a message dated 4/27/2009 1:02:59 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
wokshevs@xxxxxx writes:
>  Habermas's  identification of the necessary and  universal
> epistemic  presuppositions/conditions of discourse seems right to  me.

WO: Oh  my god! Jl and I agree.  I must re-think my position from the
bottom  up.

----

On the other hand, it's vacuous -- such  identification.

For surely the water board conversations are not  precisely the 'vagina
monologues'.

PRESUPPOSITION for WATER BOARD  conversation.

Some mutual language: -- then the dialogue seems redundant,  if they
already share a language. For Grice, the conditions of conversation  _create_
meaning.

Questions and answers only allowed. This is a  restriction of the
'conversational game'. Habermas allows for some 'prescriptive  moves', etc.
None of
those allowed in the water board conversations. Only,

"How many...?"

"Where...?"

It's usually the supply of  'information', which we don't _know_ it's
information. Could be  'mis-information'. It's rather then, compliance with
'answering' the question in  a maximin way.

Cheers,

JLS

web. Get the Radio Toolbar!