[lit-ideas] Re: The Third Man, five hundred years of democracy and...the cuckoo clock

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 16:19:31 -0400

On 7/20/2010 3:23 AM, cblists@xxxxxxxx wrote:
The connexion between 'dreadful times', 'democracy and peace' 'great art' and the following autobiographical narrative is left as an exercise for the reader.

Harry's echoing Nietzsche's teacher Jacob Burckhart in _Force and Freedom_. Though less so now, the Swiss have always been highly militaristic in pursuit of their democracy and peace. Hitler abandoned the notion of trying to invade Switzerland. The Swiss were too well armed and prepared. Truly peaceful nations get conquered. Pro pace, etc.

The Third Man captures the sense of the Zones and DP camps like no other movie. Though if I were in search of a tragedy, I'd watch Olivier's Othello, which has to contain some of the most impressive acting ever captured on film.