[lit-ideas] The Tenth Asinine Poetry Contest

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:34:50 -0700

the tenth asinine poetry contest:

http://www.asininepoetry.com/contest/10

FIRST PLACE: $50*
SECOND PLACE: $35*
THIRD PLACE: $20*

*Available in cash or asinine merchandise.

One of the great parts of being a funny poet is making fun of other
poets, especially famous ones (i.e., Shakespeare, Milton, Browning
[both of 'em], Wordsworth, Williams, Frost, Bukowski, Ginsberg,
Ashbery, et. al.) because if it's not a famous one then that's just
mean. For this contest, we'd like you to take a famous poem and parody
it--imitate it with deliberate exaggeration to comic effect. The entry
fee per poem is one buck (send it cleverly hidden in an envelope, as we
don't take checks). Limit: three entries per person.

Send your parodies to:
asinine poetry
P.O. Box 1349
New York, NY 10276

Deadline: December 1, 2006
http://www.asininepoetry.com/contest/10

Sample poem:

She Cookied Me
by Larry S. Lafferty

GO make your drill bits out of diamonds,
Hardest substance and all,
But until she hits you with a cookie,
Well, you just don't know.

Forget the talking, the yelling,
Shouting and screaming.
You'll never understand.
When she throws a cookie,
I mean right at you, you know perfectly well
What she means.
Words pale and fail.
It's the cookie, man.

(cont.)