[lit-ideas] The Substance of My World

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 20:03:21 EDT

From the OED

b. Westminster School. An older pupil who is responsible for the proper
conduct of a new boy, called his ‘shadow’.
1845 College & T.B. Life at  Westm. 25 Oct., After my first week at School,
I started altogether on my own  account, my Substance then having nothing
more to do with me. 1899 W. K. R.  BEDFORD Outcomes of Old Oxford 85 Every
neophyte was consigned to the tutelage  of some boy already in the school..the
shortcomings of the shadow, or tyro, were  credited to the preceptor, or
substance, and visited with penalties upon the  latter.

JLS

web. Get the Radio Toolbar!