[lit-ideas] Re: The Strangers' Club

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 21:34:29 EDT

In a message dated 3/9/2009 9:23:52 P.M. Eastern  Daylight Time,
rpaul@xxxxxxxx writes:
Howdy, Stranger. I'm not even sure what  this conversation is about.

-----

Well, if 'extra' gives  ------> strang-ER

what would 'intra' give?

It should finish  with -ER.

But can't for the life of me imagine.

Murray, Edmundo,  "Horses and Horseracing: an Irish passion in ...
Mar 12, 2008 ... They  met in the rooms of the Strangers Club of Buenos
Aires, and supported the  importation of thoroughbred horses. ...
www.irlandeses.org/0803murray3.htm -  24k - Cached - Similar pages
by E Murray - All 2 versions

This reminds me of McSomething and his "Story of English".

He notes how racist the English could be then when they held the British
Empire in India.

One anecdote is kind of delightful though.

There was this bartender, or waiter, who was an Indian-born Indian, true
Indian. His English, however, was, McWh. notes, too good. Result: he got
_fired_. The Brits could not accept that an employee at their club would _not_
have
an Indian accent!

Cheers,

JL