[lit-ideas] The Shimono Gears of Life

  • From: Scribe1865@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 23:11:16 EDT

In a message dated 8/22/2004 10:59:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx writes:
We are recalling Lord Russell's experience at the beach.
Hey guys, stop dissing bikes.
Lots of good stuff is associated with bikes.

I have scanned photos of Einstein and Henry James biking (though not
together, alas). It's a noble activity. And a risky one, if you've ever tried
biking
through midtown at rush hour. Seem to recall that one of Russell's letters
recounts that he was bicycling and suddenly realized that he didn't want to be
married (to his third wife, I believe).

Try it. It reduces our dependence on foreign Earls (and Lords like Bertie) as
exemplars of the machine. Though our homegrown strongarm wasn't named lance
for nothing.