[lit-ideas] Re: The Rules of War

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 18:17:16 +0100

Stan

I've queried the (to an extent implied) comments about the
British media in Starr's piece (NB only the Guardian archives
are fully available online free of charge, hence my use of
them), w/ref also Sharon Sadeh's Guardian piece.  I've
checked to see whether there were earlier pieces in
the Guardian that fitted what he said (though the ones I
cite fit his dates); I can't find any.  (Obviously I simply
sampled except for April 16 2002, I read all reports on
that day.)

> Reading this fraudulent argument again -- it's already
>been discredited --

well no, Starr's piece and Sadeh's don't in fact refute the
HRW allegations.  They address reports of a massacre;
my point, against Saleh, is that the UK papers (that I read
at the time, and, insofar as I can tell) did not buy into,
and repeat as fact, tales of hundreds of dead, and as I
have shown, their theme was "not a massacre".

*********
Interpolation.  Human Rights Watch, cited and quoted by Helen,
has called on
Hezbollah to stop firing rockets into civilian areas in Israel:

"Lobbing rockets blindly into civilian areas is without
doubt a war crime," said Kenneth Roth, executive director
of Human Rights Watch. "Nothing can justify this assault
on the most fundamental standards for sparing civilians
the hazards of war."

http://www.hrw.org/english/docs/2006/08/05/lebano13921.htm

back to Jenin.  Is the report here the only official one?

http://www.un.org/peace/jenin/

Judy