[lit-ideas] Re: The Order of Aurality

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2012 19:39:59 -0800

 Donal:

First, I will indicate that they* are not necessarily linked:- for there is no obvious inconsistency in (a) upholding a form of PLA that asserts there cannot be a 'private language' in the sense of a language whose 'rules' are only 'privately' known and applied and regulated by, say, one 'private' individual, and (b) upholding the view that any language [which is 'public' rather than 'private', consistent with (a)] can only be understood by someone who shares a similar 'form of life' to the 'form of life' which underpins the meanings of that language.
*i.e., 'forms of life,' and the 'private language argument.'

A note: one of the arguments against the possibility of a 'private language' is that such a language would have no rules. Rules (like word meanings) are founded on agreement, and in a language that only one person /could/ understand, the possibility of agreement as to whether or not a rule has been followed could not arise.

In other words, to say any language must be 'public' rather than 'private' (in the terms of the PLA) is not necessarily to say that "any language is...open to understanding by any language user." For there may be two sets of language-users whose distinct 'forms of life' are so different that neither can understand the others' language, and the PLA does not obviously deny this. The PLA is not directed against the idea that some languages may not be understood by users of some other kind of language but against the idea that the 'rules' for applying any given language correctly could be simply a matter of 'private' individual fiat.

Yes. §202: 'That's why "following a rule" is a practice. And to think one is following a rule is not to follow a rule. And that's why it's not possible to follow a rule 'privately'; otherwise, thinking one was following a rule would be the same thing as following it. [cf. 82]' (§82 is too long for me to type out right now.) The 'private language argument' runs from §243 to §315. Its gist is at §246, which is best read as a dialogue between Wittgenstein and his imaginary
interlocutor

We might perhaps admit that "For Wittgenstein, any language is, in principle, open to understanding by any language user who shares a sufficiently similar 'form of life'" but not that, without that 'form of life' qualification, "For Wittgenstein, any language is, in principle, open to understanding by any language user (irrespective of whether their kind of language and 'form of life' bear any similarity to the language in question)".

I don't understand the sentence in quotes. It seems just mistaken. The reason it's mistaken is epitomized at 327 in 'Philosophy of Psychology---A Fragment,' [Hacker and Schulte's revised translation of the /Investigations/]: 'If a lion could talk, we wouldn't be able to understand it.'

In fact, I suggest the phrase "in principle" may be dispensed with here as otiose, and "open to understanding" is misleading here: for, though we might say that the PLA tells us that any given language must be "open to understanding" by some others, it does not necessarily imply that it must be "open to understanding" byall others who use a language of any kind, where this would include any creature with any kind of 'form of life' that uses any kind of language .

Right. See above.

While I think I understand the drift of Phil's points, I suggest they mistakenly conflate the role of 'form of life' and the PLA. In short, it is unclear to me how the so-called PLA imples that "any language is, in principle, open to understanding by any language user" without any 'form of life' qualification, as it seems to me that such a 'form of life' qualification would not make any language 'private' in the way the PLA denies.

True. It would seem that the Diarist, as he's sometimes, is either (somehow) divorced from any form of life---which seems prima facie absurd--- or he's writing in a code,
which by definition would be translatable into a common language.

Robert Paul