[lit-ideas] Re: The Gay/Hipster Index

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 10:04:50 EDT

In a message dated 4/21/2005 2:22:56 PM Central Daylight Time,
andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
The  article below cuts across many issues: technology, economics, global
power,  the next
decade, and local politics. I hear many of the quotes nearly  daily. In
Silicon Valley,
practically everyone in my project teams is a  foreigner. Not one is happy
with the direction
of the USA. Visa and work  permits are a serious problem.

HI,
I don't think it is just the foreigners, though, who are unhappy.

My world is heading into that mode--more and more.  I keep pondering  what
other arenas to go into because of the same sort of philosophical direction  we
are headed.  It's hard to keep on working hard to make things better for
'one's people' when those involved in setting policy have said to you that they

feel that their job is to put boundaries on their 'creative team'. (Of which I
was the main one.)

I used to feel landlocked because my son's father lived here--turned down a
couple of offers in order to have him stay near his dad.  But, his dad  moved
over a year ago so that reason is gone.  (irony, indeed...)   Unfortunately,
my child is so so happy here and so  soulfully-connected to a couple of aspects
of his world that the thought of  uprooting is a difficult one--and my world
did pass a Rule of 80 so that in  eight years I can begin to pull
retirement...though lately those in my office  (we're going through a
frustrating time
right now) have been figuring out how  much more a year we need to make to
equal
what we would get before turning 65 in  order to make it worthwhile on a
financial level to leave.  I like to build  and create.  It's hard when you are
not
allowed to do so...

New Zealand?   Julie, you mentioned it once.  Anyone from  there?  Anyone
ever visited there?

Dreaming,
Marlena in Missouri