[lit-ideas] Re: The Dolphin and the Shark: A Philosophical Fable

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 12:28:30 EST

ps. OED for "Legalese" -- Why is a Legal-ESE but no -ESE as applied  to Lady
Philosophy or any of her beautiful daughters (Ethica -- or Magna  Moralia,
Metaphysica, and Dialektika?

1914 C. J. C. HYNE Firemen Hot 189

He signed his name at the foot of a bald formal  agreement, written in the
most incomprehensible legalese.

1966 A. SACHS  Jail Diary xvii. 155

After all these weeks I am not used to reading  legalese any more.

1967 ‘J. H. ROBERTS’ February Plan  I. iii. 81,

I won't go into the legalese, Mr. Corman, but  he claims he had a contract
with you.

1973  Black Panther 5 May 13/3

Is it any measure of excellence to assemble glossy  paragraphs of smart
untried legalese?

1973 N.Y. Times 11 Aug.,

Gordon Strachan spoke openly of his resort to  legalese.

OED for 'shark'

1806  Port Folio 17 May 304/1,

I got plenty of promises, Latin, and jaw, And who  ever got more from a
lawyer?
Of the sport I got sick, so threw up the game, For my cash by the  sharks had
got eaten.

1840  MARRYAT Poor Jack xxvii,
I'm what they call a shark, that is, I'm a lawyer.