[lit-ideas] Re: The Dint of Sweat, a Definition of Lucrative and It Depends What You Mean by, "What's Best for You"

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 11:30:17 -0700

Monday was glorious. While you were slaving over how to achieve World Peace, I was on the water, picking out crab for dinner. By dint of much sweat, we managed to haul in a sufficiency for all the folk we had invited to dinner. Then we arrived home to find that four of these folk had decided not to come and thus a sufficiency was transformed into a feast.

Yesterday was back to the classroom, followed by somewhat strange tennis in which grown men got all huffy about line calls. There is, I believe, an inverse relationship between the skill of the player and the likelihood of disputed line calls. A black guy from the south, with whom I was playing, asked the two middle eastern guys on the other side of the net to behave with more "gennelmanliness." I was quite happy to lose the set and move onto another match. By "match" I don't mean to imply that anything was at stake. On men's night, the pro matches you with people and then re-shuffles the cards. The outcome of the set means absolutely nothing.

Gosia Wozniakcka writes in today's "Oregonian" that the secretary of state has removed Brad Fudge from two campaign races because Fudge is guilty of running in both of them. Oregon law says you can't run in two races simultaneously if, and only if, the races are for "lucrative" offices. Fudge was running for state legislature, a job that pays $1487 a month and he also filed to run for mayor of the town of Fairview, a job that comes with no salary but which comes with use of a state car and up to $75 a month reimbursement of phone bills. This, apparently, is the local definition of "lucrative."

Meanwhile, Leslie Roberts has asked the secretary of state to drop Youlee Yim You from the ballot for a Multnomah County judgeship. Youlee Yim You and Roberts have known one another for fifteen years, lived next door to one another for much of that time and are now running against one another for the judgeship. One of the five judges who have endorsed You said of Roberts' move, "Lady Macbeth is not who we aspire to be as judges. It doesn't help the bench at all." What makes Roberts "Lady MacBeth"? After years as Roberts' neighbor, You moved to New York, but held onto her Oregon home. Then she moved to L.A. and sold the Portland house. When the house came back on the market Roberts' husband e-mailed You (and spouse), "Hey, interested in the old house?" You moved back, got a job with the attorney general's office, was appointed by the governor to serve the remainder of a retiring judge's term.

Roberts is the stepdaughter of a former governor and a former supreme court justice.

Oregon law says that candidates for judge must have been residents of the state in the three years prior to running. When You filed, the local elections official saw the same address for umpteen years and assumed continuous occupancy. Roberts pointed the problem out to You, who said she read the law to mean that any three years of residency would count. Roberts filed a complaint citing, among other cases, one decided by her husband, a judge on the court of appeals.

You's lawyer is not contesting the facts of the case, but contends that the residency law is unconstitutional.

Roberts gets the last word in the article, "Youlee You is a lovely person. We wanted her to be our neighbor. I want the best for her. I just don't think she'd doing the best for herself right now."

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon