[lit-ideas] Re: The Deipnosophists

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 17:45:33 -0500

>>Comments on the perversities of Athenaios welcome

It could be that the connection between eros and learning is repressed in Western cultures. Sure we have, as the commonplace wisdom goes, troubadours inventing romantic love and some good poetry from their erotic energy. Don Quixote freeing prisoners and sheep and getting beaten to a pulp every couple pages. Shakespeare's sonnets. In a culture that has only recently abandoned regulating erotic energy; instead using it as a marketing device ... we probably undervalue poor old eros, and either want him as hidden dynamo or, more recently, as carnival barker.

Can anyone recommend essays on the relationship between eros and learning, eros and creativity, or eros and achievement? Non-Freudian preferred.

Bests,
Eric