[lit-ideas] Re: The Crusades

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2014 00:50:30 +0200

Ferguson in The Ascent of Money suggests that one of the crucial causes of
the Crusades was the scarcity of precious metals in Western Europe at the
time, and their relative abundance in the Middle East. In other word,
looting was largely the motive. This agrees with the fact that the
Christian land conquests in the Middle East were short-lived, and that the
Crusades were discontinued after better opportunities for plunder of silver
and gold were discovered in the Americas.

O.K.