[lit-ideas] Re: The Boccaccian Sources of Shakespeare

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 08:31:05 +0000 (UTC)

 DM wrote: >this really is "scientifcally illiterate">
He should be made aware that this spelling of the adjective may be illiterate,
if he doen't alredy.
DMLdn

     On Thursday, 20 November 2014, 8:27, Donal McEvoy
<donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 "A good many times I have been present at gatherings of people  who, by the
standards of the
traditional culture, are thought highly educated  and who have with
considerable gusto been expressing their incredulity at the  illiteracy of
scientists. Once or twice I have been provoked and have asked the  company how
many
of them could describe the Second Law of Thermodynamics. The  response was
cold: it was also negative. Yet I was asking something which is the
scientific equivalent of: Have you read a work of Shakespeare’s?  I now
believe
that if I had asked an even simpler question — such as, What do you mean  by
mass, or acceleration, which is the scientific equivalent of saying, Can you
read? — not more than one in ten of the highly educated would have felt that
I  was speaking the same language. So the great edifice of modern physics
goes up,  and the majority of the cleverest people in the western world have
about as much  insight into it as their neolithic ancestors would have had."
We have seen this on the list, many many times. It is why I (at least) once
used the term "scientifically illiterate", which seems to me a fair counterpart
to the alleged "illiteracy of scientists" as termed by the "highly educated"
[or "half-educated" as Popper once dubbed them]. The response to a term like
"scientifically illiterate", from those to whom it applies, is that it is an
unfair term of mere abuse - yet clearly scientists are not literally
"illiterate" but when do the scientifically illiterate get up in arms when
scientists are described as illiterate? It is not merely "Two Cultures" but a
culture of arrogance and condescension that is widespread in the humanities,
both in its internal disputes and in its treatment of science as an external
body of knowledge that can be safely ignored.

Afair, the point which prompted my use of "scientifically illiterate" was that
someone seemed to think Newton's physics could be true even where it failed a
test because it nevertheless passed many other tests [so it was true for those
tests it passed] - this really is "scientifcally illiterate", for if a theory
fails a test it is false, and this falsity cannot be removed by pointing out
the numerous or even potentially infinite set of tests it otherwise passes.
[This is because the theory is describing laws with a universal character
rather than offering a mere description that 'fits' a specific set of data: but
even where a theory 'fits' a specific set of data it is "scientifically
illiterate" to conclude it must be true as an explanation of that data]. This
is "scientifically illiterate" in a way akin to thinking Shakespeare was a
sculptor - but actually it is more "illiterate" than thinking Shakespeare was a
sculptor. But far from being embarrassed at their illiteracy, people simply
take umbrage when it is exposed. In this they show, typically, an intellectual
arrogance that is not typical of scientists when accused of "illiteracy". This
arrogance is often unwitting and is partly due to people being trained in
disciplines where competing claims are made but there is an absence of severe
tests to decide between them - nor are they trained that they should bother to
develop tests that are as severe as possible to decide between competing
claims: so when it is argued that science is not merely 'JTB' they do not think
this dents their 'JTB-theory' but prefer to conclude that only means science is
not proper "knowledge". In effect they do not conclude that 'JTB-theory' fails
the test of science but that science fails the test of 'JTB-theory'. The sheer
dogmatism and obscurantism of this seems to entirely escape them. But then they
are scientifically illiterate....
No wonder they don't care much for Popper.
DnlLdn

It is more often 'there by absence', as when

     On Wednesday, 19 November 2014, 14:43, "dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
<dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 In a message dated 11/17/2014 2:20:52 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
"Preferring the culture that produced Dante?", lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
quotes
from Frye,
“The First World War discredited the view that northern, liberal, largely
Protestant cultures of England and Germany were, with America, the
architects of  a new world.  Latin and Catholic Europe began to look like a
cultural
as  well as a political ally.  The essay on Blake in The Sacred Wood is full
of  anti-Nordic mythology: Blake’s prophecies ‘illustrate the crankiness,
the  eccentricity, which frequently affects writers outside the Latin
tradition.’  So although Eliot’s view of literature is ‘classical,’ his
Classicism regards Latin medieval culture and Dante in particular, as the
culmination of the Classical achievement.  Dante’s greatness is partly a
product
of a time when Europe was ‘mentally more united than we can no  conceive.’
At such a time literature achieves its greatest power and  clarity: ‘there
is an opacity, or inspissation of poetic style throughout Europe  after the
Renaissance.’  So Eliot explicitly prefers the culture which  produced Dante
to that which produced Shakespeare", and comments:  "We are  dealing with
matters not conceived of by Dante. We are doing things with our  minds we
never did before. Is the crankiness and chaos that produced Shakespeare  really
such a bad thing?"

Perhaps Frye is oversimplifying things. After all, isn't there like a
recognised Boccaccian influence on Shakespeare.

Unless by Anglo-Saxon we _mean_ "Anglo-Saxon" (as seen by Tacitus, say, in
"Germania"), i.e., the Indo-Germanic stock _sans_ Roman influence, there
idea  that there are two cultures, one that produces Dante (and Boccaccio) and
one  that produces Shakespeare may have a Snowian* misimplicature about it!

Cheers,

Speranza

*The Two Cultures is the title of the first part of an influential 1959
Rede Lecture by British scientist and novelist C. P. Snow. Its thesis was that
 "the intellectual life of the whole of western society" was split into the
 titular two cultures — namely the sciences and the humanities — and that
this  was a major hindrance to solving the world's problems. The talk was
delivered 7  May 1959 in the Senate House, Cambridge, and subsequently
published as The Two  Cultures and the Scientific Revolution. The lecture and
book
expanded upon an  article by Snow published in the New Statesman of 6
October 1956, also entitled  The Two Cultures. Published in book form, Snow's
lecture was widely read and  discussed on both sides of the Atlantic, leading
him to write a 1963 follow-up,  The Two Cultures: And a Second Look: An
Expanded Version of The Two Cultures and  the Scientific Revolution. Snow's
position can be summed up by an often-repeated  part of the essay: A good many
[...]
In 2008, The  Times Literary Supplement included The Two Cultures and the
Scientific  Revolution in its list of the 100 books that most influenced
Western public  discourse since the Second World War. Snow's Rede Lecture
condemned the British  educational system as having, since the Victorian era,
over-rewarded the  humanities (especially Latin and Greek) at the expense of
scientific and  engineering education, despite such achievements having been so
decisive in  winning the Second World War for the Allies. This in practice
deprived British  elites (in politics, administration, and industry) of
adequate preparation to  manage the modern scientific world. By contrast, Snow
said, German and American  schools sought to prepare their citizens equally
in the sciences and humanities,  and better scientific teaching enabled these
countries' rulers to compete more  effectively in a scientific age. Later
discussion of The Two Cultures tended to  obscure Snow's initial focus on
differences between British systems (of both  schooling and social class) and
those of competing countries. The term two  cultures has become a shorthand
in certain academic circles for differences  between two attitudes; Snow
himself, in a reconsideration, backed off some way  from his dichotomized
declarations. In his 1963 book he talked more  optimistically about the
potential
of a mediating third culture. This concept  was later picked up in Brockman,
John (1995), The Third Culture: Beyond the  Scientific Revolution.
Introducing the reprinted The Two Cultures, 1993, Stefan  Collini[7] has argued
that
the passage of time has done much to reduce the  cultural divide Snow
noticed; but has not removed it entirely. The literary  critic F. R. Leavis
called Snow a "public relations man" for the scientific  establishment in an
essay published in The Spectator, which was widely decried  in the British
press. Stephen Jay Gould's The Hedgehog, the Fox, and the  Magister's Pox
provides a different perspective. Assuming the dialectical  interpretation, it
argues that Snow's concept of "two cultures" is not only off  the mark, it is a
damaging and short-sighted viewpoint; and that it has perhaps  led to
decades of unnecessary fence-building. Simon Critchley, in Continental
Philosophy: A Very Short Introduction suggests:[9] [Snow] diagnosed the loss of
common culture and the emergence of two distinct cultures: those represented
by scientists on the one hand and those Snow termed 'literary intellectuals'
on  the other. If the former are in favour of social reform and progress
through  science, technology and industry, then intellectuals are what Snow
terms  'natural Luddites' in their understanding of and sympathy for advanced
industrial society. In Mill's terms, the division is between Benthamites and
 Coleridgeans. —Simon Critchley. That is, Critchley argues that what Snow
said  represents a resurfacing of a discussion current in the mid-nineteenth
century.  Critchley describes the Leavis contribution to the making of a
controversy as 'a  vicious ad hominem attack'; going on to describe the debate
as a familiar clash  in English cultural history citing also T. H. Huxley
and Matthew Arnold.[10][11]  In his opening address at the Munich Security
Conference in January 2014, the  Estonian president Toomas Hendrik Ilves said
that the current problems related  to security and freedom in cyberspace are
the culmination of absence of dialogue  between "the two cultures": "Today,
bereft of understanding of fundamental  issues and writings in the
development of liberal democracy, computer geeks  devise ever better ways to
track
people... simply because they can and it's  cool. Humanists on the other hand
do not understand the underlying technology  and are convinced, for example,
that tracking meta-data means the government  reads their emails."
Contrasting scientific and humanistic knowledge is a  repetition of the
Methodenstreit of 1890 German universities. In the social  sciences it is also
commonly
proposed as the quarrel of positivism versus  interpretivism. See also[edit]
Culture war, The Third Culture, Science wars,  Aldous Huxley, Consilience:
The Unity of Knowledge, a 1998 book written by  biologist Edward Osborne
Wilson, as an attempt to bridge the gap between "the  two cultures" Lyman
Briggs College, a college of Michigan State University with  a curriculum
specifically designed to address the problem of "the two cultures",  Lewis
Mumford,
Michael Crichton
Gerald Heard. References: Snow, Charles Percy  (2001) [1959]. The Two
Cultures. London: Cambridge University Press. p. 3. .  "The hundred most
influential books since the war". The Times (London). 30  December 2008. Snow
2013.
Snow, Charles Percy (1963). "The Two Cultures: A  Second Look". The Two
Cultures: and A Second Look. Cambridge University Press.  "Across the Great
Divide". Nature Physics 5: 309. 2009. doi:10.1038/nphys1258.  Jardine, Lisa
(2010). "CP Snow’s Two Cultures Revisited" (PDF). Christ's College  Magazine: 48
–57. Retrieved 2012-02-13. Jardine's 2009 C. P. Snow Lecture honored  the
50th anniversary of Snow's Rede Lecture. She places Snow's lecture into its
historical context, and emphasizes the expansion of certain elements of the
Rede  Lecture in Snow's Godkin Lectures at Harvard University in 1960. These
were  ultimately published as Science and Government. New American Library.
1962.  Collini 1993, p. lv. Kimball, Roger (12 February 1994). "The Two
Cultures'  today: On the C. P. Snow–F. R. Leavis controversy". The New
Criterion. Critchley  2001, p. 49. Critchley 2001, p. 51. Collini 1993, p.
xxxv.
Ilves, Toomas  Hendrik: "Rebooting Trust? Freedom vs Security in Cyberspace"
Opening address at  Munich Security Conference Cyber 31 January 2014.
31.01.2014. Brint, Steven G  (2002), The Future of the City of Intellect: The
Changing American University,  pp. 212–3, "positivism-versus-interpretation
language [...] these fractal  distinctions are generally quite old. Most of
them
have been around at least  since the celebrated Methodenstreit of the German
universities in the late  nineteenth century. CP Snow's "two cultures"
argument captures a later  instantiation of them. [...] In negotiating the
complexities of social  scientific and humanistic knowledge, it is extremely
helpful to have a dichotomy  like positivism versus interpretation, because it
saves our having to remember  the exact degree of positivism of any scholarly
group. [...] Every single social  science discipline has internal debates
about positivism/interpretation,  arrative/analysis, and so on. The
narrative/analytic debate may look very  different in economics, anthropology,
and
English. But underneath all the  surface differences it is quite similar."
Bragg, Melvyn, The Two Cultures  (discussion), UK: BBC Radio 4.
Critchley, Simon (2001), Continental  Philosophy: A Very Short
Introduction, Oxford University Press, ISBN  978-0-19-285359-2. Collini, Stefan
(1993),
"Introduction", in Snow, Charles  Percy, The Two Cultures, Cambridge
University Press, Ferris, Timothy (13 October  2011), The World of the
Intellectual
vs. The World of the Engineer, Wired.  Griffiths, Phillip (13 September
1995), 'Two Cultures' Today, UK: St  Andrews.
Precht, Richard David (2013), "Natural Sciences and Humanities:  Genesis of
two Worlds" (Webvideo), ZAKlessons, Google You tube. Snow, Charles  Percy
(Jan 2013), "The Two cultures", Cultural capital, The New Statesman. Are  We
Beyond the Two Cultures?, Seed, 7 May 2009. Categories: 1959 booksBritish
culture Science and technology in the United KingdomScience studies Science
books Dichotomies Scientific revolution