[lit-ideas] The Big Lebowski

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 11:21:15 -0400

I saw The Big Lebowski last night.  One of the worst movies I've seen in a long
time.  It was utterly disjointed, it made no sense, stereotyped and bashed
Vietnam Vets and war protesters, bashed Gentiles, threw in a requisite feminist
artiste, and spiced the whole mess up with shock value violence.  Interspersed
among the ruins were high school level attempts, a la MTV, to depict what
happens when one is knocked out.  There were a few funny lines that didn't come
close to redeeming it.  Intolerable Cruelty was a disappointment but at least
entertaining.  Lebowski was an unmitigated disaster.  If it was well done and
bashed everybody (childish in itself, but at least a genre of sorts), that
would be one thing.  But it was so poorly executed as that it invalidated
itself completely.  I am seriously reconsidering the Coen Brothers as
overrated.