[lit-ideas] The Aristotelian Society: its history & gentlemanly/-womanly status: anyone?

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 07:57:40 EST

I would be interested to learn -- but have so many things on my agenda  right
now having to compile the Swimming Pool Library about the early history of
the Aristotelian Society of London.

I know quite a bit about it in more current times, but I would like to know
precise date of founding, who the founders were.

I would think that it was initially separated from the University of  London,
and I'd like to think it was created as a sort of club (of gentleman and
women).

In any case, it is _worth_ considering that it must be one of the few
'societies' after a philosopher -- which is not merely 'appreciation' society
(e.g.
The Bradley Society), and in any case must be one of the few honouring a
"Classic". Or was there "A Plato Society", "An Epicurean Society", etc. -- the
latter doesn't quite ring a bell.

Loeb dedicates some 20 volumes to its Aristotle, which if you count  with the
Plato, makes you realize that PHILOSOPHY was one of the priorities of  Loeb.

Of course, the Aristotelian Society antedated the Aristotle Loeb -- but I
wonder what the reception was when the first Aristotle books were coming out
from Heinemann ("O Tempora o mores..."? or "Thanks to Heinemann for making our
peripatetic walks less bulky".

I hope it has _not_ always been associated with Birkbeck!

Cheers,

JL

J. L.  Speranza, Esq.

Country: