[lit-ideas] The 6th (Is: Noel Coward)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 21:36:10 EST

"You must go to bed?  It’s only 21:50 Buenos Aires time as I write  this, and
20:53 when you posted your note.  Do you go to bed so  early?  Maybe you
should
do some actual napping during your siesta  time."

Did you know -- maybe yes, maybe no -- that 'siesta' is a Spanish  corruption
for Latin for 'sixth', meaning the sixth hour. I think it's the Monks  that
introduced the custom.

Geary should know more about that.

Sir Noel Coward pours scorn on the Argentines in "Mad dogs and Englishmen"
when he writes:

"Argentines (and Japanese, I think) sleep firmly from twelve to one, but
Englishman detest a siesta!"

--- But he was singing that in 1932, and in Japan!

Cheers,

JL