[lit-ideas] Telephones... going, going...

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 10:13:55 -0700

We were talking about IM the other day. Here's an item:

The most recent FCC Trend Report (May 2004, Table 14.2) shows a 50% decline in
the amount of
usage of residential telephone lines since 1997.

The same report shows the arrival of significant Internet use in 1997 (Chart
16.1) along
with rapid expansion of cell phones (Chart 11.1).

The data shows what we all know from day to day experience - the information
technology
industry is annexing communication as an application - email, IM, VoIP,
e-commerce, etc.  We
have fewer and fewer reasons to use plain-old-telephone-service.

The telephone companies focus their energies on regulatory battles to raise
prices. In
contrast, the information technology industry works to deliver even more
powerful
communication platforms and applications of the Internet at lower prices.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com