[lit-ideas] Technological Tergiversations

  • From: "JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx Krueger" <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 01:58:11 -0500

Miracles breed anxiety.

I have just now (sic) encountered iGoogle.  In tandem with Google Desktop
(gadgets), Picasa,  and Google Doc's & Spreadsheets, I scarcely need any
other proprietary software -- unless I wish to use PowerPoint.  iGoogle
consolidates everything I want access to into one lone page.  I am in love.

On the other hand.  It gives me pause that all this information that I'm
storing and saving is stored and saved on an internet database.  It has
become routine to back up one's data from one's fixed disk to the internet,
so that if the machine dies, the data is still safe.  But .... I keep
wondering....how safe is the data in the internet databases?  What if the
database is corrupted somehow?  What if (not likely any time soon!) the
sponsoring company (in this case Google) goes under -- belly-up --
bankrupt.  How much should I trust cyberspace over my hardware?  Should I
make (perversely) backups of my internet data onto CD's??  How stable a
situation is this?

I want badly to simply trust the Google format -- it's so easy and so
integrated and so .....everything at the touch of a finger.  And yet.....

Anyone use iGoogle?  Any thoughts?

Julie Krueger
still reeling from the toys which detect brain waves -- It's a brave new
world, alright.  We live in amazing times.