[lit-ideas] Syriana

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 22:12:42 -0700

Has anyone else seen this movie?  Since George Clooney was heavily involved
in it, I assumed it would have a left-wing message, but not so.  There is
some good stuff in it.  Yeah, there is plenty of oil-company greed, but I
have no reason to think that oil companies aren't greedy; so that didn't
bother me.  But there is also a young prince and his American advisor who
are the good guys and they present a very sensible idea of what the
Middle-Eastern nations ought to be seeking.  Of course greed wins out over
this sensible idea but we do get to hear it and we do end up thinking the
Middle East would be better off if that idea prevailed.  There is also a
subplot that is interesting:  An Islamist recruits some young immigrants and
gets them to engage in a suicide attack against an oil-tanker.

Lawrence