[lit-ideas] Sugar Man

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 22:03:05 -0800

I have a friend who wrote a thesis on Wittgenstein and got a job and was
awarded tenure and then a Marine was appointed president of the college.  He
just didn't like the philosophy department's attitude and so abolished the
whole thing.
This didn't sit well with my friend, who had started out as a plumber, so he
fought the Marine all the way to the state's supreme court.  And lost.  He got
other jobs, but he's really not doing so well now.

This is background only.  What I have to recommend to you is the story of
another man with a philosophy degree, "Searching for Sugar Man."  No doubt
you've all seen the movie and I'm the last to the party.  But if you haven't
and you're prepared to tolerate some distortions necessary to movie making, and
you're ready for a bit of good cheer, I do recommend it.

David Ritchie,
Portland,