[lit-ideas] Style -- The Poetics and Politics of

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 21:21:00 EDT

In a message dated 4/21/2004 5:06:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes in "Wittgenstein's Style"
is this healthy a result, or even acceptable, for a presentational style?
W's style has intrigued me; still does.
Mmmm. There's the old adage, "The style is the man" ("la style [originally,
'pen', in French] is la femme"). So I guess Wittgenstein has the style that he
_has_ to have.
But then there's a paradox for Phatic. It would seem as if "the style is the
man" is _wrong_ for a man (such as, say, Wittgenstein) _can_ change his style
(even his presentational style) -- as he did from the Tractatus to the
Philosophical Investigations -- so the style can _not_ be the man. (I read
somewhere
that he got his style -- numbering sections and all that -- from the manuals
of ingeneering that were popular in Britain at the time he was studying it in
Manchester).

Another interesting (to me) point is that while J. M. Shorter, Peter Winch,
and others can _have_ (or _display_) a "Wittgensteinian" style -- or write "a
la [maniere de] Wittgenstein" -- I don't think it's implicaturally okay to say
that _Wittgenstein's_ style is Wittgensteinian. (I say 'impicaturally' because
it becomes a tautology -- 'Wittgenstein's style is Wittgensteinian' --, but
hardly a contradiction, if you get my drift).

Cheers,

JL