[lit-ideas] Strauss

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 18:31:52 +0100

Prompted by Robert's wagging finger (I'm a sucker for authority), I did some
reading and came to a few conclusions about the enigmatic Strauss.

1. Be concerned not with what politics can do, but with how it is done.

2. There is no god, but it certainly helps if everybody else thinks there is.

3. The philosopher writes for two audiences: those who understand what is being
written and those who merely think they do; the first audience are true
philosphers, the second audience are just scholars.

4. It's enough to believe that liberals are nihilists; those who aren't, don't
have to believe in anything more.

5. The Straussians aren't wearing any clothes!

Regards

Simon