[lit-ideas] Re: Speak Upon the Square of Opposition

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 14:38:39 -0330

Quoting Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx:

> As Grice uses it, it means the Square of Opposition, which Aristotle
> introduced in Post. Anal. xv:873b to refer to the 'implicature' of
>
>    "most of my children are pretty; indeed, all of them  are"

W.O.: Well the feller has to decide: either they're all pretty or only some of
them are pretty. You can't has it both ways. (A good lawyer would make
mincemeat of a witness who sought to maintain both views in the same respect
while on the stand. Where is Prof. Toulmin when you need him?)

I do have 15 more minutes to chat, but I'm all out of time and must attend to
wintry matters on the Avalon.

Walter

P.S. Yes, Newfoundland was indeed hit with 40 cm. of snow this past weekend. (1
in = 2.54 cm for those from the land without health care.) I have yet to locate
my volvo in the driveway. And she's red!