[lit-ideas] Re: Speak, Oh Academics!

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 21:07:04 -0400

I hadn't seen it, John, and I thank you for it. Taylor suggests some fruitful avenues. In particular, the suuggestion about areas of study centered on a particular issue strikes me as very doable and worthwhile. I've been intrigued in the past by the universities that require a particular book as summer reading by their incoming freshmen -- that book then becomes a common reference point in all the various classes they take, providing a multi-faceted view of the topic. This is an idea that could be extended to second, third and fourth year as well. Might nudge the system away from that 'piled higher and deeper' model we seem so fixated on. Thanks again,

Ursula

Quoting John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>:

How many of us have seen this New York Times Op-Ed?
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/27/opinion/27taylor.html?_r=1&pagewanted=print

John