[lit-ideas] Spartakeia

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 21:15:35 EST

Further to the notes, I have read (sort of) Sargent for  ref. to Sparta and I
notice he claims TWO 'founding myths', as the translation  goes, are
especifically Spartan.

(i ) The well-known one of Hyacinthus  -- refs from Liddell/Scott online
"Greek Lexicon" below.
More interestingly,

(ii) The Elakatas myth --.

(He suggests references of the Hyppolitos myth as well, etc.)

For (ii) I have not been able to find much outside Sargent's book.  One
website, which I have not checked, goes:

_Associazione O-zone | L’erotismo nel mondo antico: greci, etruschi  ..._
(http://www.associazioneozone.net/territorio/ricerca-e-valorizzazione/lerotismo-ne
l-mondo-antico-greci-etruschi-e-barbari/) - [ _Translate this page_
(http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.associazioneozone.net/te
rritorio/ricerca-e-valorizzazione/lerotismo-nel-mondo-antico-greci-etruschi-e-
barbari/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search?q=Elakatas&hl=en&ie
=UTF-8)  ]     ... radici nel mito di Apollo e Giacinto;  un’altro mito
considerato fondatore per la società spartana era quello di  Heracle (erastes)
Elakatas (eromenos). ...
_www.associazioneozone.net/.../ricerca-e-valorizzazione/www.associazioneozone.
net/.../ricerca-e-valorizzazio_
(http://www.associazioneozone.net/.../ricerca-e-valorizzazione/lerotismo-nel-mondo-antico-greci-etruschi-e-barbari/)

For (i)

A. Hyacinthus, a Laconian youth, beloved by Apollo, who killed him by an
unlucky  cast of the discus, E.Hel.1469  (lyr.), Apollo.3.10.3, Paus.3.1.3: cf.
Huakinthia.

B. as Appellat.,
I. huakinthos ,  , hu. sparte Thphr. HP6.8.2 ; said to have sprung up from
the blood of  Hyacinthus

[with the interjection AI AI deciphered in the petals  being the expression
of Apollo's grief]

Huakinthia [u^], ta (sc. hiera), a Laconian festival in  honour of
Hyacinthus,

Herodotos.9.7,11, Thucydides 5.23, Xenophon Historia Graeca  4.5.11, etc.

---- Sargent's point is that both are foundational myths  for Sparta (this is
the second time I'm trying to write this post -- it got  deleted by mistake:
this copying and pasting can be a bore), and you know how  trying is to retry
a post), so I'll be brief.

Both were names of months and part of the military calendar. The Hiacinthia
was celebrated south of Sparta (males and females) alike, to provide a tribute
 to the 'resurrection' of their brave soldier (now underground). The
Elakateia  marked the end of the yearly campaign and involved some contest with

wreath-runners.

Nothing earth-shattering, but I think it's good to know what we are talking
about when we talk "Spartan" and try to 'overuse' the term to mean almost
"everything you always wanted to know about military austerity -- but were
afraid to ask". And Helm is right that it all went to the dogs when they
(Spartans) became successful and wealthy.

Cheers,

JL

products.