[lit-ideas] Socrates' Thinkery: New * * * Grand Opening * * *

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 18:04:53 EST

Thanks to J. Wager for his comments:

>it seems to me that Kant takes  "judgment" as having two >spheres: One in
sensible phenomena  [theoretisch] and one >in actions [praktisch]

>To "will" something for Kant was to act  deliberately, that >is, to think
about one's actions and then do  them.

I'm not sure about the "and then do them", but I agree  that, to use Grice's
example in "Intention and Uncertainty" (PBA), we can  meaningfully say:

             The professor was willing to scratch his head.

-- unless we have _seen_ the professor _attempting_ to  scratch his head --
even if failing.

>One can "think" without judging, ... but as soon as one >unites a concept
with either a sensible or a deliberate >content, it's a judgment.

It would seem then that Kant is prisoner to the  Aristotelian categories of
subject-predicate. Strangely, one of the recent  cliches in the English
language are things like:

"Think Kant"

"Think homophobia"

"Think Capitol"

etc. etc.

where the utterer is directing the addressee to _think_  about a concept
(entertaining it) but merely _implicating_ (never saying) under  what guise one
is
supposed to think such a concept.

All very confusing, and more so in  German.

Cheers,

I'm reading Aristophanes and he has Sokrates as leading  the Thinkery, but
can't yet find what the Greek for that is. I see that he  called the comedy
"Clouds" because that's where philosophers are said to have  their heads in.

Cheers,

JL

JL