[lit-ideas] Re: "Snow Is White": Tarski's Heritage Revisited

  • From: adriano paolo shaul gershom palma <palmaadriano@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 19:05:17 +0200

this laughable claim has been debunked, and not once..

http://users.utu.fi/freder/Pullum-Eskimo-VocabHoax.pdf

On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 6:53 PM, <Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Pullum in:
>
> http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=4419
>
> as  per below.
>
> Regarding philosophical pets like
>
> Tarski,
>
> "Snow  is white" and "Grass is green".
>
> alla Boas's alleged refutation,  rephrased:
>
> "Eskimos have DOZENS, or even HUNDREDS, of words for [what  Tarski calls
> 'snow'].
>
> So we may need a redefinition.
>
> Grice made a  similar comment with 'grass' (as in "Grass is Green"). As he
> notes, this is not  true for Dalton and his followers (the Daltonics), and
> disallows the rigid  designation of 'grass':
>
> "The meaning specifications of 'grass' are  various -- lawn-material,
> marijuana, etc. -- and some may even go and refute  Tarski's claim too" --
> e.g
> Grass (including Marijuana, or Lawn Material) in  winter -- and so on."
>
> Cheers,
>
> Speranza
>
> ---
>
> "It was never in doubt that there were several distinct Eskimoan  lexemes
> denoting snow phenomena: Boas had given four (Robson also cites just  four,
> though they are different ones), and there are certainly some others. But
> one has to be rather careful if counting distinct snow terms is the game.
> What
>  is a snow term? Some Eskimoan dialects use a derived word (kavisik)
> meaning  "snow with a herring-scale pattern on it caused by re-freezing of
> rain
> pockmarks  on fallen snow," but the root (not found in the
> Fortescue/Jacobson/Kaplan  Comparative Eskimo Dictionary) appears to mean
> "herring." So we need
> criteria  for deciding whether that would be counted as a snow word or a
> herring word —  not an insignificant matter, especially with a language
> that
> has such productive  word formation that you can construct arbitrarily many
> derived words for snow or  herring or coffee or anything else. Similar
> cautions hold for many other items.  Illuksaq in Greenlandic has been
> cited as a
> word meaning "snow suitable for  building an igloo", but in fact illu-
> means
> "house" and -ksaq means "stuff for  the construction of", so illuksaq means
> "house-building material". It is not a  snow word at all. In a similar way,
> I have seen a word for soft snow cited, but  it appeared to be based on the
> root meaning "soft", and a word for early  autumnal snow apparently based
> on
> the root for "fall", and so on. I'm just not  sure how many of these should
> count as snow terms."

palma, KZN

*יד*  וַיַּעַן עָמוֹס, וַיֹּאמֶר אֶל-אֲמַצְיָה, לֹא-נָבִיא אָנֹכִי, וְלֹא
בֶן-נָבִיא אָנֹכִי:  כִּי-בוֹקֵר אָנֹכִי, וּבוֹלֵס שִׁקְמִים.

 palma

University of KwaZulu-Natal

Howard College Campus, philosophy department

Durban 4041 South Africa

Tel off: [+27] 03 12 60 15 91 Fax [+27] 03 12 60 30 31

admn Y. Hordyk : [+27] 03 12 60 22 92

mobile 07 62 36 23 91 from abroad +[27] 76 23 62 391

EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxxxx

palma's office 280 (3rd flr of Mtb)

from 2o13\o1  p212 on cognition p308 on rigidity p102 intrPHIL

 - check venues&schedule at administrator office  TBA

 *only when in Europe*:

inst. J. Nicod

29 rue d'Ulm

f-75005 paris france