[lit-ideas] Re: Sex and Violence

  • From: Andy <min.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 11:11:30 -0800 (PST)

Actually, overemphasizing it because we don't know any better.  There's a
documentary called Beyond the Gates of Splendor about missionaries in the
1950's who go to this remote place in the Amazon.  The inhabitants there are
the most violent people on earth.  They all carry machetes and they use them, a
lot.  They in fact kill some of the missionaries but over time some of the
remaining missionaries begin to live with them and basically teach them that
there are other ways to live besides violence.  Over time these off this charts
violent people become normal.  That's what humanity in general is like.  We
just don't know there are other ways besides violence to live.  We believe we
must hit children to discipline them, when it's the absolutely worst thing to
do.  We even base our entire economy on the best ways to wipe out others.  Then
we think it's the human condition, when all it is is ignorance.  Check out this
Worldview interview.  The first segment, it's short.  A
 little off the subject but not really.

  http://www.wbez.org/Program_WV.aspx?episode=18770

Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  >>Air Bus contract ... military refueling planes ... fruits of bad
childrearing ...

Are we not also neglecting the front of the child?

Piaget Leno