[lit-ideas] Re: Serendipity - and other coincidence

  • From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 17:25:55 +0100

On 5-Nov-13, at 8:14 AM, I wrote:

On 1-Nov-13, at 1:41 AM, David Ritchie wrote about:

burgundy socks ... from a shop that sold them from cardboard boxes. The socks were individually sized. None of your "fits sizes 6-16" rubbish. Quite charming.

Thanks to which, today I better understand the line just found in my current novel-being-read:

"She promoted him, served him, and eased his way in every turn. From boxed socks and ironed surplice hanging in the wardrobe, to his dustless study ..." [Ian McEwan, SWEET TOOTH]

I now question that understanding. This scepticism is based on a passage occuring several pages after the one quoted above, viz.:

"I would have served him as my mother did my father. Box his socks? I would have knelt to wash his feet."

It seems clear to me that 'boxed socks' in this case does NOT mean 'socks in cardboard boxes' - as it does not make sense that the protagonist's proffered service is to place his socks in cardboard boxes. (That 'he/him/his' is Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, by the way).

Looking up 'boxed socks' and 'boxing socks' on the Internet does not help. Neither does consulting my dictionary. I surmise 'folding socks together in a particular ('interlocking'?) manner' - but what exactly ARE those particulars? Anyone?

Chris Bruce,
still saving comments on the protagonist's
book consumption - as well as Walpole,
sagacity and Sri Lanka - for a later post, in
Kiel, Germany