[lit-ideas] Re: School Days

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 09:17:03 -0500

People in power are apparently powerless against their own idiocy.  In Memphis
several students have been suspended for bringing drugs to school -- dangerous
drugs like aspirin or anti-biotics.  A rule is a rule and the rule says NO
DRUGS.  Just as brilliant is the policy of suspending students for unexcused
absences.  Oh, yeah, that'll teach 'em.

School administrators aren't the only mindless ones.  Tennessee recently passed
a law that ANYONE AND EVERYONE buying alcohol must show the cashier a photo ID
-- doesn't matter if your face is as craggy as oak bark, your hair as white as
snow and you're being wheeled through the store on a gurney from the old folks
home with IV's still plugged in -- doesn't matter, by God, you still must show
the cashier your driver's license if you want to buy a bottle of beer.  Don't
complain, it's the law.  Makes sense too, no young person knows how to fake an
ID or would if they could.

As long as there are people with power there will be idiocy.  That's an
inviolable rule.  Get used to it.

Mike Geary
Memphis