[lit-ideas] Say hey, Jorge! [was: Archer Cholmondeley, Tenor]

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 09:53:55 -0500

PE:
I am not
comfortable with my students calling  me by my first name.

When I did the study thing, I was uncomfortable calling my professors by their first name and never did. I didn't want them thinking they might be able to call on me for a favor -- like helping them move and such.

I wonder if Speranza remembers when he first signed onto the old Phil-Lit, I sent him a off-list post with the salutation: "Say hey, Jorge!" He responded that I should address him as "Jorge-Luis" or "JL" or "Speranza" or "Jorge-Luis Speranza", but not "Jorge", much less "Say hey, Jorge."

I have complied with his wishes ever since.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: <Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx>