[lit-ideas] Re: Sarcasm

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 22:52:08 EDT

One problem with sarcasm may be its etymology. Few people are aware of it.
Yet they use the word, 'sarcastic'. Same with 'sophisticated'.:

"She is some sophisticated lady".

They seldom _implicate_ that she follows the teachings of Protagoras, the
great sophist(icate).

Cheers,
JL

In a message dated 4/7/2011 6:10:35 P.M., torgeir_fjeld@xxxxxxxx  writes:

"Whatever happened to the good old sarcasm?" phatic  wondered.

"As if you cared," I said.

"No, I'm serious. Irony  fell into disrepute but is coming back big-time.
If you wanna make it in the  tropes, go for some irony."

"Sure," I said.

"So with flattery. I  mean I've got so much smoke up my behind it's blowing
out my ears," phatic  informed.

"Yeah, no deflation in that category," I said.

"But  now, sarcasm."

"Yes?" I  asked.

Cheers,
-tor