[lit-ideas] SERIOUS POEM FOR STAN

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 23:52:34 -0500

I saw the best minds of my generation go downhill.  Moloch, Moloch.  And what's
worse
was their verse, like a ancient curse it just kept getting worse and worse
until the hearse
came to get them.

But then in a supermarket in Berkeley, I think it was,
Walt Whitman was standing among the avocados,
he said to me:
What is it like to have a dick inside you?
I wouldn't know, man, I said.
I would, he said and grinned
like an angel-headed hipster in the starry dynamo of the A&P.
I shouted, "Save me, Ginsy," (that's what I called him -- Allen, my friend),
he came running and punched old Walter in the nose,
"Go away, you dirty old fairy," he said and he took to his place
down the alley from City Lights
and fed me lots of lettuce
and fed me lots of "let us"
but I was virginal and a woman too which he didn't know
and which I didn't know either until he took his pants down,
then I knew what they meant and I hated to disappoint him so
I said to him: You can swim in a river, you can swim in a lake
but you can't swim down Broadway unless you're on the take.
He began to howl and I got out of town.
Now I'm sitting here in Memphis
wearing this fretful frown
I could have been Allen's lover