[lit-ideas] Re: Rumsfeld, or, a small leak sinks a great ship

  • From: andy amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 05:30:16 -0700 (PDT)

A lot of people still do like Rumsfeld, like his toughness.  Which I find
interesting given that under his leadership we've become embroiled in a war
that could last for decades.  The terrorist threat is anywhere from unchanged
to worse.  I wonder sometimes if we're now in the same position the Soviet
Union was in during the Cold War arms race.  Granted, we're far more solvent
than the USSR was, and granted the insurgents, etc. have no GDP per se.  Which
may say nothing at all since an urban guerrilla war can be cheap for them,
expensive for us.