[lit-ideas] Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 19:02:22 -0700 (PDT)

Here in the northeast it has been so cold.   I mean bitter bone chilling cold.  Today it didn't get above 50 degrees and it rained.  Yesterday was windy and almost as cold.  It's been this way all month.  But, except that it's a little too cold I hope it stays like this for the rest of the summer.

I found some quotes about the weather from famous people.  I've posted them below and put their names separately.  I thought it might be fun to match them.  I also pasted the link where I got the quotes.  (I hope the formatting isn't too bad.)

George Carlin

e.e. cummings

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Edna St Vincent Millay

Saint Basil

Rachel Carson

Jane Austen

Edna St. Vincent Millay

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Langston Hughes

Carl Reiner

Muriel Spark, Territorial Rights, 1979

George Santayana

A lot of people like snow.  I find it to be an unnecessary freezing of water.  ~ Hint: Actor/Comedian

Let the rain kiss you.  Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops.  Let the rain sing you a lullaby.  ~ Hint:  Male Poet

To be interested in the changing seasons is a happier state of mind than to be hopelessly in love with spring.  ~ Hint:  He’s got a strange name

The best thing one can do when it's raining is to let it rain.  ~ Hint: A fireside poet

It is one of the secrets of Nature in its mood of mockery that fine weather lays heavier weight on the mind and hearts of the depressed and the inwardly tormented than does a really bad day with dark rain sniveling continuously and sympathetically from a dirty sky.   Hint:  The worst poet in the world, female

Weather forecast for tonight:  dark.   Hint:  You know this one

No one but Night, with tears on her dark face,
Watches beside me in this windy place.  Hint:  Female poet

Coal lay in ledges under the ground since the Flood, until a laborer with pick and windlass brings it to the surface.  We may will call it black diamonds.  Every basket is power and civilization.  For coal is a portable climate.  ~ Hint:  He transcended weather

Many a man curses the rain that falls upon his head, and knows not that it brings abundance to drive away the hunger.   Hint:  Something about snakes ‑ not

A rainy day is the perfect time for a walk in the woods.  ~ Hint:  She had a synonym of quiet in her title

All was silent as before -
All silent save the dripping rain.
Hint:  Not him again!

The snow doesn't give a soft white damn whom it touches.  Hint:  male poet

What dreadful hot weather we have!  It keeps me in a continual state of inelegance.   Hint:  None needed.

Under my head till morning; but the rain
Is full of ghosts tonight, that tap and sigh
Upon the glass and listen for reply....
Hint:  Female poet

http://www.quotegarden.com/weather.html