[lit-ideas] Re: Roots and threads

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 19:14:28 -0700

I can't respond to the H. Stuart Hughes thread at present--too much to do.  The
short version is that Hughes suggested that ideas acted in the world through
cohorts of agreement, generations.  In this he differed from his friend Peter
Gay, whose idea of intellectual history was that ideas were periodic--there
were, for example, Victorian ideas.

Meanwhile, checking something in a student's paper, I ran across this site:

http://www.britishsurnames.co.uk/surnames

You'll have to put your own name in.  I found that in Britain there are now
four thousand more Ritchies than there were in 1881.  If I read the chart
correctly--and you'd think they could say whether the U.S. and Australian
numbers are current or from 1881--there are twice as many of us in the U.S. as
in Great Britain.  Once in my life I have joined a majority!

David Ritchie,
reading student prose in
Portland,