[lit-ideas] Re: Rome in 418 B.C. -- thoughts on soldiers, recruitment, and pacifism

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 13:32:21 -0400

Lawrence:As long as America produces men willing to volunteer to fight our
wars, then the Left-Wingers and Pacifists can stay safely home and avoid them.
But if their political arguments eventually silence the opposition, and no one
is willing to volunteer, then when the next emergencies occur, America will
have to resume recruitment drafts and they will have to go to war, like it or
not.

Lawrence, have you looked into how many "left wingers" and conservative
Congressmen currently in the Congress volunteered for service?  If not, your
tirade against "left wingers" is totally baseless.  And have you forgotten that
"Patricians" could buy their way out of service in our Civil War?  Currently,
recruitment is great, because the economy is so bad.  When Republicans take
total power again, hiring will resume.  In the meanwhile, the original plan
moves ahead: destroy Obama, by Republican politicians, by corporations, by any
means available.

Veronica Caley

Milford, MI