[lit-ideas] Roget's Treasure

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 21:55:37 EST

In a message dated 1/28/2005 2:42:12 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Synonym  isn't a synonym for thesaurus. Athough a thesaurus is often used to
find  synonyms,
that's not the purpose of a  thesaurus.

Right. For the relevant use, the OED provides _three_ definitions of
thesaurus, below. Ultimately, it's of course, figurative: after Gk. 'treasure'.
 The
OED does not seem to provide the Greek etymology, though -- I mean, where
_Greek_ 'thesauros' comes from. Notably, I wonder if a 'treasure' is
necessarily
a good thing (as in Stevenson's "Treasure Island"). What about a treasure
which  is discovered but which ultimately brings doom and failure to its
finders.
Would  that _still_ be a *treasure*? (_Qua_ verb, 'treasure' seems to
_implicate_ -- if  not imply -- that what you treasure is something _good_. Cf.
*"I
treasure the  long boring conversations with my grandfather".)

Cheers,

JL

'thesaurus', a â??treasuryâ?? or â??storehouseâ?? of knowledge, as a
dictionary,
encyclopædia, or the  like.

1565  COOPER (title) Thesaurus Linguæ Romanæ et Britannicæ  [etc.].

1736  AINSWORTH (title) Thesaurus Linguæ Latinæ compendiarius;
or..Dictionary of the Latin Tongue.]

1840  MILL  Diss. & Disc. (1859) II. 461 A thesaurus of commonplaces for the
discussion of questions.

1862  MARSH  Lect. Eng. Lang. iii. 49 In a  complete thesaurus of any
language, the etymology of every word should exhibit  both its philology and
its
linguistics.

1906 Westm.  Gaz. 18 Dec. 2/2 This work is one of five  thesauri published
under the auspices of Kang Hsi, the second Emperor of the  present dynasty.

1910  Spectator 20 Aug. 279/2 A  thesaurus of critical  learning.

--- also:

A collection of concepts or words arranged according to sense; also  (U.S.) a
dictionary of synonyms and  antonyms.

1852  ROGET  (title) Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases classified  and
arranged [etc.].

1898  â??MARK  TWAINâ?? Autobiogr. (1924) I. 172 The  fact that the writer's
balance at the vocabulary bank has run short and that he  is too lazy to
replenish it from the thesaurus.

1942  BERREY & VAN DEN BARK  (title) The American thesaurus of slang.

1960 W. NAYLOR Silver Birch Anthol. 8,  I know how you have to polish and
repolish, alter words, delete  others, change sentences, consult the dictionary
and the thesaurus, before you  are satisfied.

1962 U. WEINREICH in Householder & Saporta Probl. Lexicogr. 30 The grouping
of synonyms along a  continuum yields a thesaurus, like Roget's.

1975 (title) Family word finder: a new thesaurus of synonyms and antonyms in
dictionary  form.

--- also:

A classified list of terms, esp. key-words, in a particular  field, for use
in indexing and information  retrieval.

1957 H. BROWNSON in Proc. Internat. Study Conference on Classification  for
Information Retrieval 100 The best  answer..may be the application of a
mechanized thesaurus based on networks of  related meanings.
1961 Aslib  Proc. XIII. 265 We decided to..designate the  analytical
compilation a â??thesaurusâ??.
1965 Revue  Internat. de Documentation XXXII. 21/1 It has  become commonplace
to hear of retrieval systems embodying a thesaurus. In this  context a
thesarus usually means an arrangement of a vocabulary of terms in each  group
being
connected in some defined way.
1974 Encycl.  Brit. Macropædia IX. 572/2 The second stage  should be a fully
automatic selection and matching process, preferably using a  thesaurus.