[lit-ideas] Robinson Crusoe's Parrot

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 22:05:48 EDT

The question, it seems to me, is what is knowing. Do  nonhuman animals know
things? It would take a braver man than me to deny  that they do. Do they have
language? Hard to say. If they do,  it's nothing they apparently want to share
with us.

-----

Well, I copied this conversation that Locke heard from Prince Maurice of  the
Netherlands. At least that old Brazilian bird _had_ a language, and it _was_
something he apparently wanted to share (with the Prince):

"of an old parrot he had in Brazil,  during his government there, that spoke,
and asked, and answered common  questions, like a reasonable creature: so
that those of his train there  generally concluded it to be witchery or
possession; and one of his chaplains,  who lived long afterwards in Holland,
would
never from that time endure a  parrot, but said they all had a devil in them."

Locke goes on to report the  conversation between Prince Maurice and the
Parrot from Brazil. Locke  explains:  "[The parrot spoke] in Brazilian. I asked
the Prince  if he understood Brazilian; he said No, but he had taken care to
have two  interpreters by him, the one a Dutchman that spoke Brazilian, and the
other a  Brazilian that spoke Dutch". The dialogue went as follows:

Prince Maurice, "D’ou  venez-vous?"

Parrot, "De Marinnan"

Prince Maurice, "A qui estes-vous?"

Parrot, "A un Portugais"

Prince Maurice, "Que fais-tu  la?"

Parrot, "Je garde les poulles"

Prince Maurice, "Vous gardez les  poulles?"

Parrot, "Oui, moi; et je scai bien  faire"

Locke wonders:

"I ask any one else who thinks such  a story fit to be told, whether, if this
parrot had talked, as we have a  prince’s word for it whether they would not
have passed for a race of rational  animals; but yet, whether, for all that,
they would have been allowed to be  "Men", and not "Parrots"? For I presume it
is not the idea of a thinking or  rational being alone that makes the idea of
a 'Man' in most people’s sense: but  of a body, so and so shaped, joined to
it: and if that be the idea of a 'Man,'  the same successive body not shifted
all at once, must, as well as the same  immaterial spirit, go to the making of
the same man.

Cheers,

JL