[lit-ideas] Relata

  • From: jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 18:25:34 EST

Indeed. I'm currently, studying, incidentally, the category of "Relatio",
as referred to by Aristotle:

   Cat.

         1. ousia
         2. poiotes
         3. posotes
         4. 'relatio'

Kant's Table of Categories

         1. quantitas
         2. qualitas
         3. relatio
         4. manner.

The "relatio" involves two relata. For one relatum relates to another
relatum.
According to Aristotle and Kant, everything is interrelated to  everything.

For Grice, not so. Grice's example:

        A: Mrs. Schlinker is an old  windbag.
        B: The weather has been  delightful for this time of the year,
hasn't it.
                       (WoW, ii -- googlebooks)

Grice's gloss: B's reply fails to _relate_ to A's remark. The implicature
being that A has committed a _gaffe_.

Grice's critics noted that at a deeper level B's utterance does relate to
(or dovetail with) A's utterance. But Grice's 'relatio' relates to the
explicature, not to the implicature. Etc.

Cheers,

J. L. Speranza
   for the Grice Club, etc.

In a message dated 1/1/2010 3:40:24 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
torgeir_fjeld@xxxxxxxx writes:

Merry  new year.

Donal wrote:

What Popper might say is this: a "mobile  army of metaphors" - along with
many other armies and non-armies, and mobile  and immobile stuff - _might
play a role_ in the search for truth: but _they do  not constitute truth_ (and
only relatavist legerdemain might convince you  otherwise). Truth is the
correspondence (of a proposition) to the facts [a la  Tarski].

May we infere that all those writing from de Saussure onwards  are to be
regarded  relatavist?