[lit-ideas] Re: Refudiations and Refudiations

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 12:20:05 +0000 (UTC)

"So my notes are about the growth of Popperianism, if we
consider Lakatos a Popperian of course.">
Lakatos' philosophy of science is really a Hegelian synthesis of a Kuhnian
history-based view of science, as puzzle-solving within a dominant paradigm
that may be overthrown by an incommensurable paradigm as anomalies increase,
and Popper's logic-based view that science be regarded as a product of a
normative system for evaluation that puts primacy on falsifiability in the
sense of 'falsifiable by observation'. The resulting blend is not very
Popperian at all, and stresses the role of anti-falsificationism [i.e. evading
falsification] as if this is central to most scientific endeavour in a way that
Popper would deny.
As Popper's reply to Lakatos in _Schillp_ shows, Popper did not consider
Lakatos a Popperian at all - and Popper goes so far as to make clear that if
Lakatos is right in some of his key claims then Popper's philosophy of science
must be fundamentally mistaken. Popper tries to explain why Lakatos is not
right. So much for Lakatos as a Popperian.

DL

On Friday, 16 October 2015, 2:50, "dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
<dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

D. McEvoy wrote on a different thread:

"just as I's considering flying over, a rumour reached me that Sarah Palin
is presenting her notes on Popper at the Colloquium and, after pausing
whether  to attend to ask her spelling of "Colloquium", I decided to stay safe
on this  side of the pond."

The title of her presentation is

"Refudiations and refudiations".

"I tried," she explained in a pre-view, "to combine the works of both
Popper -- "Conjectures and refutations: the growth of scientific knowledge" --
and Lakatos -- "Proofs and refutations: the logic of mathematical discovery"
--  and thought that 'refudiations and refudiations' makes this implicit
reference  to both." "So my notes are about the growth of Popperianism, if we
consider  Lakatos a Popperian of course."

"Incidentally," she adds, ""I implicature"" is not a verb I would use. Call
me conservative, but I go with "implicate". "Of course," she adds, "to be
implicated in a crime" is NOT what Grice is thinking about, but you know
what I  mean."

Cheers,

Speranza