[lit-ideas] Re Capitalism -- Revisited

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 17:46:35 EDT

In a message dated 7/20/2004 3:08:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
The  point escapes me, although I'm sure JL Speranza can clear it up. Words
like
'major,' 'general,' 'president,' etc., are capitalized when they are  part of
one's title or rank (Major Paul, General Panic) but otherwise not:  'Bush is
president,' but 'President Bush.'

----

One problem here is that Google does not allow for a _capital_-sensitive
search. Therefore, you cannot trace hits for:

     Margot was a lady.

as opposed to

    Margot was a Lady -- indeed: "Lady Asquith".

I think it is incorrect (or sloppy -- or downright 'ambiguous') to say
"Margot is a lady" when you mean "Lady", but no use googling about it (ditto
for:
"Lord Acton" vs "Acton was drunk as a lord").

Cheers,

JL