[lit-ideas] Re: Random Compulsion

  • From: John Wager <johnwager@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 00:29:38 -0500

Erin Holder wrote:

>I feel compelled to share with you all just how sick I am of this school year,
>how bored I am of writing papers, how utterly unappealing I find the prospect
>of memorizing grammatical rules and extensive lists of German vocabulary for a
>tedious three hour exam, and how little enthusiasm I have for summer school,
>which starts after a pathetically short vacation.

It COULD be worse. I was so sick of philosophy classes after 4 years of
college that I was actually GLAD I was drafted into the U.S. Army and
sent to Vietnam! Now THAT'S sick of school!

>I am, however, after a quick
>excursion to Chicago, going to Hell.  Michigan.  I can't imagine it's very
>interesting, what with being a small town and all, but apparently it has "fun
>excursions".  I think I'll be the judge of that, thank you very much.  That's
>all I really have to say.
>
>Back to the essay.  Blah.

Go to the Green Mill Lounge on Chicago's north side for a bit of real
jazz.  See a play in a theatre with no more than 50 seats; this is real
"Chicago" theatre.