[lit-ideas] Raison D'Etre

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 14:01:54 EDT

In a message dated 9/3/2004 1:46:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> I  wonder why the English language sometimes uses _French_ expressions  (of
> all languages).
English uses expressions from all languages,  not just French. There's quite
a bit of French
because the French invaded  and occupied England for a long time (page 1066
in your  history
book).
--- True.

It is perhaps interesting to note that the earliest record -- in the  OED --
for "raison d'etre" in English is 1864 (in a private letter) -- way  after
_1066 and all that_. So perhaps it was a _later_ import?

Still, I don't think that, before the 1860s, English authors used "reason  of
being" (instead) -- but the more pretentious sounding 'ratio essendi',  p
erhaps?

What I was trying to say is that the appeal to a foreign language may have
two motivations: an effect of 'distancing' ("this is what the French would call
 "raison d'etre"") or a way of saying that there is no actual _English_ way
of  conveying the foreign concept (else, why not use the autochtonous
expression?).

Cheers,

JL

1864 J S Mill Let.  18 Mar. (1910) II. 3

Modes of speech  which have a real raison d'être.

1867 MORLEY Burke 208

Plunder in three  forms..was the very raison d'être of the power of the [East
India]  Company.

1880 Standard 29 Nov.,

The Royal Society  has almost ceased to have a raison d'être.

1889 A. JAMES  Diary 14 Dec. (1964) 67

The French ladies of  the 18th century..whose whole raison d'être was the
graceful, and the  light.

1927 C. CONNOLLY Let. 5 May in Romantic  Friendship (1975) 301

With Desmond gone I  have no raison d'être.

1959 J BRAINE Vodi vii. 102

There were a few  trees and fields, and even a small colony of expensive
privately-built houses,  which was rare for a place for which the raison d'être
now was Rimelby Main  [colliery].

1975 J G EVANS Environment  Early Man Brit. Isles v. 104

A possible raison  d'être for these sites was the chert, a desirable raw
material.