[lit-ideas] Quilmes, My Quilmes

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 20:10:36 EDT

In a message dated 3/9/2009 6:45:27 P.M. Eastern  Daylight Time,
ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
It was given by
Christian C. Carman of CONICET, Universidad National de Quilmes.
Wikipedia tells me that Quilmes has two soccer teams, one founded by
the Scots, and one, not.  Also a brewery.  I see why the  British
would want to invade there.

----

Indeed.

Quilmes is indeed the name of the native tribe there, I am told.
The place is very nice, features its very own Quilmes Yacht Club complete
with Pier.
And is the seat of not just the Quilmes High School -- it has to be pretty
'high' to be _called_ 'high' in Argentina __and__ the St. George's -- which is
my favourite boarding school in Argentina.

The whole area is referred to as the "Southern Suburbs", since the Brits
implanted the
Railway (Southern Railway) that connected Buenos Aires to La Plata --
Quilmes being exactly mid-way.

Oddly, while a further station along that line is the "Hudson" stop --
Hudson himself was born closer to Quilmes (Florencio Varela, really) than where

the stop is.

------

Quilmes also features a nice Anglican Church -- "All Saints" where _I_
became "Anglican", as it were.

Cheers,

J. L. Speranza
   Buenos Aires, Argentina.