[lit-ideas] Re: Question for the list

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 13:39:34 -0700

An audit says that the U of Oregon spends less than twenty percent of its
budget on instruction.  I wonder whether such numbers are available for
institutions you know?  I think I recall that when I served on the budget
committee, where I work spent nearly half of available monies on instructional
salaries (see article for definitions).  Now I'd guess it's less.
http://www.oregonlive.com/education/index.ssf/2011/05/oregon_university_system_lacks.html

I note that auditing how professors spend their time has become the new
thing...so I shall scurry back to reading essays.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon